A Healthy Crockpot Meal From My Kitchen To Yours
I have been crushing on this recipe lately so I wanted to share. It is one of the recipes in my personal recipe arsenal and has landed a spot on my Top 10 list. It is a one pot meal that is simple and easy to throw together but contains clean, whole-food ingredients. Perfect for all my friends out there who want to eat well but don’t particularly enjoy spending time in the kitchen.
Serve it with a green vegetable of your choice (steamed broccoli, spinach, or roasted brussels are my favorites these days) and dinner is done!!
I got the inspiration for this meal here. I have tweaked it and offer a variation at the end to amp up the nutritional profile. I personally am in love with this version!
Try one, try both, modify according to your taste. I hope you like it as much as I do and that it becomes one of your dinner go-tos as well!!
Crockpot Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 4-5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock (I show you how to do this - in your crockpot!! - here)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed, cut in half
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- 5-6 cups roughly chopped dark, leafy greens (kale, spinach, chard)*
1. Combine everything except the shrimp and rice in the crockpot.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours (until chicken is cooked all the way through).
3. Add the shrimp to the crockpot and cook an additional 15-20 minutes (until shrimp become white in color and are cooked all the way through). Health Coach Tip: See the variation below for a delicious way to amp up the nutritional profile of this meal and add in a serving of greens!
4. Serve over brown rice if desired.
Add in some greens after step 3!! Roughly chop 5-6 cups of dark, leafy greens (kale, spinach, chard). Stir in the greens until wilted and serve.